Buy & Sell licences for Dummies
We created a process, so that buying and selling of licences is easy even for kids, always transparent about what is going on and risk free for both, the buyer and the seller.
This system is foolproof. You will see.
1. Check prices for the licence
Go to our spreadsheet and select the one which is appropriate for your offer (naked licence).
Look in the row of that spreadsheet for the correct duration. Look along the line for the price of the fairest scenario for both (Column #5).
Voila, that is the fair price. It is up to you now, whether you are willing to pay more or not. We do not recommend to pay more than that.
2. Propose the seller your price
Tell the seller your price. If he is accepting that price continue with the next step (middleman service).
3. Middleman Service (free)
(we are still working on it) This is a free service, but it is important for this platform to guarantee a risk free trade for both parties (the buyer and the seller).
Once you both agree on a price, the buyer sends the full amount to our “PayPal collect” account. The money is “frozen” there until we get from the buyer the ok to transfer it to the seller’s PayPal account.
At the same time we send the seller an email, that the funds are there in our collect account and that he therefore can start the transfer process to the buyers Xenforo account.
As soon as the transfer is completed and the buyer tells us that he has now access to the bought licence, we forward the money to the seller.
We do not charge anything for this service and PayPal will only charge its normal PayPal fees with which we have nothing to do.
If you want to do the transaction without middleman service, we recommend that you should agree on a 50/50 split after each step. 50% of the price before the licence is transferred, the other 50% after the licence was successfully transferred.
What else should you know?
Please use only PayPal. No PayPal friends. No other payment methods, because it is very likey that you get ribbed of if the seller does not accept PayPal.
Also make sure the to know the exact guidelines of xenforo, when a licence is allowed to be transferred at all.
“The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party (“Subsequent Licensee”) not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer. “
So in other words:
- You have to be the original buyer of the licence / If this licence has been transferred already once, it can not be transferred a second time. Never again.
- The licence has to be older than 120 days
See also the posting in the Xenforo Forum here.
How to check, whether a licence is eligle for transfer?
Xenforo has a validation page for this purpose. The seller has to send you his validation token and the URL of the website it is associated with. You enter then both on the Xenforo page and see what the result is.
Do not trust screenshots! Make the verification yourself. If the seller does not want to give you the key and/or website URL, there is something wrong with it 😉
What is the step by step guideline to transfer the licence with the xenforo team?
- Veryfiy the licence with the validation token as described above.
- If that is ok, tell the seller your real name registered in your Xenforo account. Xenforo will ask him for this name. Do NOT give him access to your account.
- If you use our middleman service, send us now the full purchase price with the usernames (your and his username in our forum and the licence number)
- If you do not use a middleman service, you should now send via PayPal the first 50% of the purchase price to the seller.
- Do not forget to write a comment in the text box of the PayPal form, that this is the first half of the payment (upfront) for the Xenforo licence #xxxx etc.
- We as the middleman service contact you that the money is in our “collect account”. You should now go to #3.
- If you do not use a middleman service, check your PayPal account for the first half of the payment.
- If the money is in your PP account open a support ticket with Xenforo and request a licence transfer for that licence. Do not forget to tell them the real name of the buyer and the ID of your own purchase.
- We can not tell you the exact email text, because we always buy XF licences and never sold one 🙂
C. (again) Buyer
Xenforo will send you now an email with a simliar wording like:
“…Please confirm that you accept that the license be transferred into your name and that the license will not be eligible for transfer after the license has been transferred this time.
Please confirm whether the license should be transferred to your existing customer area (if you have an existing customer area) or whether you wish it to be to a new separate customer area and provide your details:
Please let me know if you have any further queries and I will wait to hear back from you and will then transfer the license.
- Confirm this to Xenforo now.
- After that the licence will be transferred. Irrevocable.
- Check your Xenforo account and add your desired Website URL to it.
- If you use our middleman service, you need to send us now an email that everything went fine and that we can now forward the money to the seller.
- If you do not use a middleman service, you should now send via PayPal the other 50% of the purchase price to the seller.
- Do not forget to write a comment in the text box of the PayPal form, that this is the second half of the payment for the Xenforo licence #xxxx etc.